A Typical News Day During the NFL Off-Season
The following is a list of news items regarding the National Football League from July 24, 2015, submitted without comment:
- Ray Rice was almost signed by an unidentified team, but the owner had “concerns about public reaction to signing [Rice] given the taped incident” of him punching his fiancé in the face and knocking her unconscious.
- The Saints released their best pass rusher Junior Galette after a series of disturbing off-field incidents for domestic violence, including hitting a woman with a belt during a fight.
- Broncos player Derek Wolfe was suspended four games for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs, which came after it had been reported in June that he added thirty pounds of muscle this offseason.
- The Bills are planning to fire the team’s offensive line coach Aaron Kromer who was arrested two weeks ago for assault and battery after pushing a minor, punching the boy in the face, and threatening to kill his family.
- Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith received a three-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy after pleading guilty to a DUI in June.
- Star quarterback and face of the NFL, Tom Brady, is still awaiting a decision on his appeal of his four-game suspension for cheating and the majority of the players and management around the league want the suspension to be upheld.
- Vikings cornerback Jabari Price was suspended for two games after being arrested for a DUI last September.
- Bucs cornerback C.J. Wilson is retiring from football after blowing off two of his fingers during a fireworks accident on July 4th.
- Titans wide receiver Justin Hunter, who is currently free from jail on $25,000 after sucker-punching a man multiple times during a brawl, will be permitted to participate in all training camp activities while his case is pending.
- Former Jaguars linebacker Clint Session is being sued by his ex-girlfriend for failing to pay child support for their special needs daughter (who suffers from cerebral palsy and a brain defect) after Session claimed he could not afford to contribute to the medical care despite the fact that he recently purchased a new house for $850,000 and a Mercedes for his new girlfriend.
- Convicted dog murderer, Michael Vick, informed all teams via his Twitter feed that he is “#ready” to be signed.
- Radisson Hotels announced that it will not renew its sponsorship of the Vikings, a team that welcomed back child-beater Adrian Peterson with open arms.
- The daughter of Junior Seau is not being permitted to speak at her late father’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but Hall of Fame spokesman Joe Horrigan claims the refusal has nothing to do with the circumstances of Seau’s death or the fact that his family is currently suing the NFL for wrongful death. As explained by Hall of Fame executive director David Baker, “Our mission is to honor the heroes of the game and Junior is a hero of the game. We’re going to celebrate his life, not the death and other issues.
- After having visited the Saints, Cardinals, Packers and Bears, free agent Jermaine Gresham signed with the Cardinals.
Featured image of “National Football League 2008” by Source. Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia.